So, we have three weeks to go until we move and the nerves are starting to set in. I’m glad at this stage that we made the decision to move and booked the flights a while ago, it means that the pressure is off in terms of getting organised because we’ve been able to do this over a long period of time. This is what we have done so far to get ready for the move:
- Ordered new passports (mine was running out and Matty had lost his) Make sure you use the official Government website – this is the UK one
- Ordered replacement degree certificates
- Ordered university transcripts (not essential for Vietnam, but some other countries require them)
- Ordered a DBS Basic Disclosure – You can do this here
- Put notice in on our flat/ apartment and reported any maintenance issues
- Found a buyer for my car
- Found a place to stay for when we’re in the UK but no longer have our flat
- Printed our flight itineraries and hotel booking
- Created and printed copies of CVs
- Contacted our utility providers for any final bills to be sent.
- Putting all documents into folders on a hard drive, ensuring there are copies in email and hard copies in a folder.
We’ve enquired about visas at this stage but haven’t organised anything yet. They only take a few days to come through and we still haven’t decided whether to apply for a Language Centre online before we move, in which case the conditions of our visa might change.
I’ve also started stocking up on things I would like to make sure I have: my preferred foundation, mascara, some toiletries. I know it’s probably not a big deal to get these things once we’re out there, but I’ll feel better knowing that I don’t have to worry about it for a while and I think my make-up here might be cheaper too.
We’re spending a lot of time at the moment watching videos to get a feel for Hanoi and looking at places we’d like to visit, whether that be a particular bar or a little holiday to Sapa. Although nerves are setting in, moreover I’m really excited at the prospect of something new and completely different. I’ll be glad when we’re completely ready to go, and this adventure which we’ve been waiting a year for finally happens.